Janine Choplick from the Hillside SPCA does such amazing things in our community and we are truly grateful! We asked her a few questions so that we all could get to know her a little better:
- Where are you originally from?
I have always lived in Schuylkill County. I have resided in the beautiful Friedensburg area for 28 years, previously called Deer Lake home, and was born in Pottsville.
- How long have you been atHillside?
I’ve been with the Hillside SPCA for 11 years. (Wow! Where did the time go?)
- Where did you go to school?
I graduated from Minersville High School and studied Printing at STTC.
- Describe your role in the area pet community?
My role in the community is, I think, pet education and awareness. And providing assistance if I can. That’s the key to many of the needs that face animals and people together.
- What would you say is the most important impact that Hillside has?
A safe harbor for all animals in need until they find a permanent home is what Hillside SPCA has done so very, very well over the years.
- Was would you say was the one greatest pet related, community accomplishment that you have had?
Knowing we need stronger laws to protect animals, I am active in contacting legislators – even personally visiting Harrisburg- to let my representatives know how serious I am. When these many bills become laws (many times after years of hard work) those accomplishments are shining examples of what we all can do. And also becoming a Humane Officer to help enforce those very laws in our communities has been so important to me.
- At what point in your life did you realize that you had such a deep connection with pets?
I tell my husband I was born to do exactly what I am doing. My connection with all animals has always been with me since I can remember!
- List your pets and names throughout the years (including childhood ones):
Schultz, Breezy, Maisy, Scooby, Pip (dogs) and Bob, Hootie (cats) right now. Cody, Rekker, Sam, Roche, Stitches, Shadow, Shawnee, Colby, Zeke, Puddles, Kitty, Sox, Sox 2, Ginger and foster pup Opie in the past.
- What kind of food do you feed your pets?
My pets all get Blue Buffalo food.
- What is your favorite movie?
My favorite movie is the classic Blazing Saddles – Mel Brooks is tops in my book.
- What kind of music do you like?
Blues, Stevie Ray Vaughn style, is the best music ever.
- What was the last book that you read?
The last book I read was John O’Hara’s ‘From the Terrace’. O’Hara was from Pottsville. But my ultra favorite author is Mark Twain!
- What is your favorite TV show?
30 Rock is the only TV show I watch each week regularly.
- Where was your last vacation?
My last vacation was motorcycling with my husband to the beaches for a week in Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey.
- What is your favorite restaurant?
The BEST restaurant around is the Greystone Restaurant in Pottsville. Jerry and Mark are the greatest hosts and the food is sublime.
- If you could meet with anyone in the world, who would it be?
I would love to meet Jane Goodall.
- Other personal facts or hobbies that you think might be interesting:
I have completed dog training and management course at Kutztown University. I have been a Girl Scout and a Girl Scout leader in the past and always have a special place in my heart for working with children and animals. Photography is one of my hobbies and animals and nature are my favorite subjects. I have a marvelous circle of friends whom I love to laugh with. And mostly my family – husband Dan, sons, brother, nieces and mother are so very important to me because they support me and understand completely who I am!
To learn more about the Hillside SPCA, go to: www.hillsidespca.org