By Dr. Pickett Bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets and some ants deliver venom when they sting. The result is almost always redness, swelling and pain. The estimated lethal dose is 10 stings per pound of body weight, so death is exceedingly rare. Anaphylactic shock also is very rare in pets. Anaphylaxis, an exaggerated allergic reaction that can be fatal, is unrelated to the actual number of stings. If your pet gets stung and you see the stinger, remove it. Apply a cool compress to the area. If your pet seems particularly uncomfortable, lidocaine spray will numb the sting. An antihistamine, such as Benadryl, helps minimize the swelling and redness. A pain reliever can ease discomfort. If your dog makes a sport of chasing or snapping at bees, ask your veterinarian about having some of each in your home pharmacy in case the need arises. Still want to know more? Take a look at this Bee Stings 101 article.
As of May 1, 2017 we will be open later on Friday and Saturday. Come in for your pet care needs Friday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday: 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.