The Borough of Bernville

How did Bernville get it’s name? In 1737, Stephanus Umbenhauer immigrated from Bern, Switzerland, and purchased 220 acres from Thomas Penn. In 1819, Stephanus’ grandson, Johann Thomas Umbenhauer, set aside 46 acres to be divided into 62 lots. On 24 August 1819, Peter Bennethum bought the first six lots. In January 1820, the town was named Bernville after Stephanus’ birthplace